Wendover Woods 50 - 25th November 2017

Ok I have to admit - I was not really looking forward to this one. My previous ultra, Chilton Wonderland, was a struggle and WW50 was another Centurion race, so I feared a repeat of a less-than-great experience. Nothing to do with Centurion of course. The problem at Chilton was just lack of training over the summer. The preparation for Race to The King, the 50M South Downs ultra had been good, with well planned and spaced big runs before hand, and it all happened perfectly. The summer was a bit fragmented training wise. Lots going on, work busy when not on holidays. I had to finish Chilton to get my UTMB points, whereas WW50 was "just for fun".

WW had got inside my head a little though. I was keen for the racing in the dark when knackered experience (Oner prep), and also interested to see what a lap race would be like. I discovered Barkley Marathons  a few months back, and I had a thought that this was in some way an utterly detuned version of the Barkley experience. I also felt no pressure at all, given it was laps it was easy to quit whenever you wanted to. The fun run at Barkley is 3 laps, so that was the minimum goal. Anyhow after my repeated nerves and DNS at Thames Trot I now had a non-DNS policy. So DNF is now the expected minimum. Low bar.

I was a bit disorganised in preparation and although I knew the race was "somewhere near Oxford", it was only the night before I checked travel times and was delighted to see it was just an hour away, hence alarm set for a very civilised 5am. Having access to a drop bag every 10 miles is a total luxury. I felt like I was packing for a holiday as the spare shoes (Mudclaws, in case terrain turned nasty), spare socks, head torch (no need to carry it before 1pm), waterproof trousers, and loads of food. Nutrition categorised in to three boxes - "savoury", "sugar" and general snacks. The plan was to re-load every lap or two as needed.

The drive up was easy although devoid of service stations. I had the GoPro and was keen to try out the karma stabiliser arm, but needed a new SD card. Poor preparation again, so I ended up leaving it in the car. By lap 3 I was glad I was not lugging it around, but I need to practice running distance with the karma as I remain keen to shoot my big races. I might actually remember them that way. Reason two for finding a service station was pre-start coffee. I found the latter just a few miles from the race base, and was glad of it.



Base was freezing. The car temperature said zero, but it felt colder. There was heavy frost on the ground, and everyone walking around in duvet jackets and hiding inside the base tent by the heater blowers. I wandered in and found the kit check. It was a pretty light check - the race is relatively safe, you are never more than a few k from the start at any point in the circuit. I filled my camelback, and wandered down towards the start.

It was the usual relaxed atmosphere at the start, and we started on time heading down a pretty easy wide and flat track.  The first lap was all about getting to know the course. We passed places that would soon be etched in awareness, hope and relief - each marking a stage further on. As always chunking these runs is essential, and the laps made that very easy. I wondered why the UTMB points for the race were less than on a linear course, especially given the crazy elevation of this event, but it is hard to explain just how much easier it is knowing exactly where you are and what is coming up. I guess a lesson from that is the value of doing a good recon on hard events, especially the tricky bits.

 The first few Ks were easy and interesting, with varied terrain but nothing too dreadful. The three hundred or so starters soon thinned out, and there was enough company for chats, but not remotely crowded. As we descended the large field below I saw red kites circling. It was very pleasant.
A few K before the outside checkpoint and aid station we passed "Go Ape", later to be full of brave kids who waved enthusiastically from above. A bit of up and down led us on to this forest track and a short run to the station.



The second half of the loop is definitely harder, although shorter than the first. There are four main "obstacles" - Boulevard of Broken Dreams (how much fun are these guys having?) Hill Fort Loop - as it sounds a climb then loop around the fort, then the ridiculous Gnarking Around. Gnarking Around is insanely steep. Even the first time up it was a slow plod, and muscle burn. Then followed by Railing Back the Years. Also tough.


Third time up Gnarking Around. No idea why I am smiling. Probably as I'd survived the thing again. 


Then it was back to base, and the delightful marshals, a quick refuel and out again for lap two.
It never got boring. I had feared the loops would just be grind and depressing, but the terrain is so lovely and interesting that each loop allowed you to see a bit more of what you missed the previous time, and the familiarity made the course your friend. Even Gnarking!

Towards the end of lap 2 I ran a fair bit with Eddie, who was great company. As we were approaching Hill Fort Loop an effortless speedy runner cruised past us. We looked at each other slightly astonished, and the runner waved back at our shouts as he left us for dust. It turned out it was Francis Bowen, a 2hr 08min marathon man trying his first ultra. Its always a privilege to share a race with someone like that. As it happened he pulled out at the end of that lap (his lap three), so technically we left him for dust....

Night arrived midway through lap 4, and changed the character of the place again. I loved it. The trails were still well marked with fluorescent tape and markers, although I would not liked to have been on lap 1 in the dark. Meetings and conversations were trickier, it was a case of "oh hello its you again" as flashlights met.



 I had a few dips in the race, I remember the end of lap 4 being quite tough - I had to resort to the iPod (hate that, antisocial) to float off somewhere different. It was surreal running through the woods in the dark, slightly knackered, with banging tunes in your head. I probably missed some owls. I also ate a LOT of jelly beans and glucose tabs on laps 4 & 5.

As I headed out on lap 5 I found myself completely alone, just as my phone battery threatened to die. For the first time I felt slightly anxious, thinking if I went the wrong way I would be wandering lost in the dark with no phone. It was once again hovering around zero degrees. In reality I doubt you could get too lost there without crossing the trail again somewhere along the way.


The finish arrived just at the right time. I had taken my money's worth, but it was good to call it a day. My finish time of 12:38.09 was WAY slower than I had expected - a good lesson not to expect too much speed on hilly courses. My relative negative splits were how I like to race - position moving up from 199 -> 163 -> 138 -> 126 and I was very pleased to finish 123 out of 185 finishers and 250/300 or so starters. Not that I really mind too much about positions, but I like to be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

It really was a great race. I loved it more than many a race, and the beauty of it is how easy the logistics are. I think I'll be back and trying to push the time a little in 2018.








Comments

Popular Posts